Sunday, August 19, 2012

[Q&A] Eloy Lasanta (Third Eye Games)

[21:02] <+Eloy-3EG> I'm Eloy, from Third Eye Games[21:02] <+Eloy-3EG> we make Apocalypse Prevention, Inc., Wu Xing: The
Ninja Crusade, Part-Time Gods and Mermaid Adventures
[21:02] <+Eloy-3EG> 4 great games i do say so myself
[21:03] <+Eloy-3EG> i was invited here to talk games and that's what
i'm here to do!
[21:04] *** TommyBrownell has joined #rpgnet
[21:04] *** ChanServ sets mode +v TommyBrownell
[21:04] <+Eloy-3EG> oh hey Tommy!
[21:04] <+TommyBrownell> Computer died on me...=P Hey, Eloy!
[21:05] <+Eloy-3EG> So, usually Q&As start with some Qs. Anyone got one?
[21:05] *** ttmrichter has joined #rpgnet
[21:05] *** ChanServ sets mode +v ttmrichter
[21:05] <+xyphoid> what kind of adventures do mermaids have
[21:06] <~Dan> (Howdy, ttmrichter! Q&A in progress, #rpgnet2 open,
etc., etc. ;) )
[21:06] <+Eloy-3EG> Mermaids can have all KINDS of adventures
[21:06] <+Silverlion> Hrms
[21:06] <+Silverlion> Hi Tommy!
[21:07] <+ttmrichter> Ahoy.  Who's the target today?
[21:07] *** CGriesinger has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link:
http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[21:07] <+Eloy-3EG> fighting off sea monsters, making friends, doing
errands for the sea king
[21:07] <~Dan> Eloy Lasanta, big kahuna of Third Eye Games!
[21:07] <+Eloy-3EG> that particular game was made for kids in the vein
of the Little Mermaid
[21:07] <+TommyBrownell> (Hi Tim!)
[21:07] <~Dan> <+Eloy-3EG> we make Apocalypse Prevention, Inc., Wu
Xing: The Ninja Crusade, Part-Time Gods and Mermaid Adventures
[21:07] <+Eloy-3EG> hello tim
[21:08] <~Dan> Is the system of Mermaid Adventures based on your house
system, Eloy?
[21:08] <+Eloy-3EG> a lot of the fun of Mermaid Adventures is the kids
and all the crazy things they do/say
[21:09] <+Eloy-3EG> Mermaid Adventures isn't based off the DGS. It got
its whole own system from the ground up to make it more accessible to
younger kids
[21:10] <+Eloy-3EG> the pip system is based on six-sided dice pools
[21:10] <+TommyBrownell> (Link:
http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com/search/label/Third%20Eye%20Games)http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com/search/label/Third%20Eye%20Games
(Crap ton of Third Eye Games reviews)
[21:10] <+Eloy-3EG> while the DGS is a single d20 for all rolls
[21:10] <+Eloy-3EG> good call on the link, Tommy.
[21:11] <+Silverlion> Nice. Is there a reason Ninja crusade has
chinese elements?
[21:12] <+Eloy-3EG> yes, actually, because Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade
is an anime-themed game, but draws on a lot of different asian culture
and myth to make up its sum
[21:13] <+Eloy-3EG> the game just kept growing and growing as I added
new elements to it, so it wasn't just ninja inspirations at a certain
point.
[21:13] <+Eloy-3EG> and i think it's better for it
[21:13] *** Le_Squide is now known as Le_Iceycream
[21:14] <+Silverlion> Vpp;/
[21:14] <+Eloy-3EG> my newest kickstarter is actually for the 4th book
in the wu Xing line
[21:14] <~Dan> I'm guessing Mermaid Adventures isn't particularly deadly...?
[21:15] <+Eloy-3EG> my little ninja game has done incredibly well
[21:15] <+Eloy-3EG> here the link to the kickstarter - (Link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/135802053/truth-and-lies-for-wu-xing-the-ninja-crusade)http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/135802053/truth-and-lies-for-wu-xing-the-ninja-crusade
[21:15] <+TommyBrownell> (I've tried to push the heck out of it,
because it's my favorite of your games, which is not an insult to the
other ones)
[21:16] <+Silverlion> Which one Tommy?
[21:16] <+Eloy-3EG> Mermaid Adventures wasn't designed to be "deadly".
It's cartoony and loose for a reason. And there's loss, but it's not
of the dead variety most of the time.
[21:16] <+Eloy-3EG> the ninja appreciate you Tommy. :-)
[21:16] <+Silverlion> Yeah. More cartoon violence, like CAH :D
[21:16] <~Dan> Want to say a bit about the game in general?
[21:17] *** WonderRat has joined #rpgnet
[21:17] *** ChanServ sets mode +v WonderRat
[21:17] <+Eloy-3EG> i can. I'm a horrible salesman. lol
[21:17] *** Bill has quit IRC: Disintegrated: Leaving
[21:18] <+Eloy-3EG> but Mermaid Adventures, and RPG of Undersea Fun!
was designed for kids to play underwater games in the vein of the
Little Mermaid.
[21:18] <+TommyBrownell> Wu Xing, Tim. Eloy took a ton of tropes and
elements that absolutely turn me off and made me love them.
[21:18] <+Eloy-3EG> I had a ton of playtesters of every age and
everyone enjoyed themselves, which I think says a lot about the game.
[21:19] <+Eloy-3EG> youngest playtester was 4, but required a lot of
handholding. it was written for about age 8 (is it a coincidence
that's how old my daughter is?)
[21:20] <+Eloy-3EG> you're too kind, Tommy. So glad you're a fan. you
sell me much better than I do myself. lol
[21:21] <~Dan> How does Mermaid Adventures handle combat?
[21:22] <+Silverlion> I admit I liked the clans, but it felt a bit to
"class like" to me--not that is terrible, or anything, just didn't
click exactly.
[21:23] <+Eloy-3EG> all types of Conflict is handled the same way. My
Attribute versus your Attribute, winner does 1 Hit to the loser.
[21:24] <+Eloy-3EG> the way it works out, though, is that I could try
to punch you and you could defend by trying to talk me out of it. then
you roll and see what happens.
[21:24] <+Eloy-3EG> it makes it very easy for kids to grasp
[21:24] <+ttmrichter> *THAT* sounds cool.
[21:24] <~Dan> Sounds a bit like Dr. Who RPG, oddly enough.
[21:24] <+ttmrichter> But how does 1 hit get caused by being talked
out of fighting?
[21:24] <+Silverlion> That does sound cool. Similar to something I was
working on.
[21:25] <+ttmrichter> Are there different kinds of damage?
[21:25] <+Eloy-3EG> Yes, the Wu Xing clans can seem like "classes",
but its because each one has held strong to their niche, taking out or
assimilating other clans that might try.
[21:26] <+Eloy-3EG> Each of the 4 Attributes can take up to 4 Hits,
basically. If you hit Zero Hits, then you can't use that Attribute
until it heals
[21:26] <+Eloy-3EG> But no, there wouldn't be a hit to the Attacker if
the defender wins.
[21:26] <~Dan> That's pretty clever, Eloy.
[21:27] <+Eloy-3EG> So, if you're going to punch me and I try to talk
you out of it, i'm trying to avoid taking a Hit, not trying to deal
one to you
[21:27] <+Silverlion> Simple and easy. I like it--any plans to move
that to other games?
[21:28] <+Eloy-3EG> for now, i'm just working on hacks for the system.
the first is called Thimble, where you play borrower type characters.
[21:30] <+ttmrichter> OK, that's a good mechanism, I must say.
[21:30] <+ttmrichter> And I think it could be applied, conceptually,
to more than a "kid's game" too.
[21:30] <+Eloy-3EG> oh yeah.
[21:30] <+Silverlion> It can be I imagine.
[21:30] <+Silverlion> Might be fun for a actiony simple superhero game.
[21:30] <+Eloy-3EG> the idea is a simple one, but could be tweaked to
be bigger and with more twists.
[21:30] <+Silverlion> Spider-man attacks with words! Hit
[21:30] <+Eloy-3EG> I kept is simple, making it like the first sample of a drug.
[21:31] <+Eloy-3EG> gotta get them hooked young
[21:33] <+Silverlion> Cool.
[21:33] <+Silverlion> Would you liscense that system out?
[21:33] <~Dan> I'm surprised nobody else has done this. Kudos, Eloy.
[21:33] <~Dan> How have sales been so far?
[21:33] <+Eloy-3EG> i don't see why not. it'd follow my general
licensing format. thanks for the reminder that I need to add that to
my site. lol
[21:34] <+Eloy-3EG> sales for Mermaid Adventures have been moderate,
but I haven't opened the flood gates yet.
[21:34] <+Eloy-3EG> the book has been exclusive to me in print, but
after gencon, it'll be going out to stores too
[21:35] <+Eloy-3EG> thanks for the Kudos! It took a bit to get the
system to work right, but as soon as it did, the rest fell into place
[21:35] <+Silverlion> Know any podcasting people to kick a copy too?
[21:36] <+Eloy-3EG> i'm pretty liberal with my review copies and it's
gotten some good ones so far.
[21:36] <+Eloy-3EG> (Link:
http://thirdeyegames.net/press-mermaid-adventures/)http://thirdeyegames.net/press-mermaid-adventures/
[21:37] <+GoldenH> ill have to check it out
[21:37] <~Dan> What do you consider your "flagship" game?
[21:37] <+Eloy-3EG> Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. is the flagship. it
was the first and the longest running.
[21:37] <+Eloy-3EG> just released API Worldwide: South America, as a
matter of fact, which came out beautifully.
[21:38] <+Eloy-3EG> the fans are digging the new book, which always
makes me happy
[21:38] <~Dan> What new critters are in there? :)
[21:38] <+Eloy-3EG> 4 new playable races for one
[21:38] <+Silverlion> What makes you choose your flagship?
[21:38] <+Eloy-3EG> new magic from the Path of Wealth and the
introduction of Tattoo Magic
[21:39] <~Dan> What are the new races?
[21:39] <+Eloy-3EG> to me a flagship game is the one that you are
primarily known for, the one that you try new things with first, the
one that you are tied to the most.
[21:40] <+TommyBrownell> (I am intending to review Mermaid Adventures
after I get through my PostApoc stint on my blog)
[21:40] <+Eloy-3EG> you could ask 10 of my readers and each of them
would tell you a different one of my gamelines is my flagship, but
i've always held strong to API. it was the first. :-)
[21:40] <+Eloy-3EG> sweet, Tommy!
[21:41] <+Eloy-3EG> New Races - Mohan, defenders of the Amazon,
Thirsts - crazy starfish demons that take over bodies, Gyks - uber
tech demons and Tox - the most poisonous demons ever
[21:41] <+Silverlion> Cool.
[21:41] <+Eloy-3EG> each one actually opens up a lot to the setting as
a whole and makes South America thrive as a place you want to have
players go in the game
[21:42] *** Le_Iceycream is now known as Le_Squide
[21:42] <~Dan> What can Mohans do?
[21:42] <+Eloy-3EG> Mohan get bonuses when in a natural environment
and they get to choose to turn into either a jaguar or an anaconda.
so, good stuff! :-)
[21:43] <~Dan> Nice. :)
[21:43] <~Dan> What sort of tech can the Gyks whip up?
[21:44] <+Eloy-3EG> I'm always one to pack my books with material,
both setting and mechanics
[21:44] <+Silverlion> Awesome.
[21:44] <+Silverlion> Its always good.
[21:44] *** Thanaeon has joined #rpgnet
[21:44] *** ChanServ sets mode +ao Thanaeon Thanaeon
[21:44] <+Eloy-3EG> Gyks get implants to start and there's a bunch of
new ones their kinds have created in the book. they are a fun one.
[21:44] <~Dan> How do they differ from the tech cyborgs use?
[21:45] *** GoldenH has quit IRC: Disintegrated: But the future
refused to change...
[21:45] <+Eloy-3EG> more defined and their can actually extend life
spans, which is pretty crazy.
[21:46] <~Dan> Do they have energy weapons or anything?
[21:48] <+Eloy-3EG> they like to use them more than close combat
weapons, do to their weaker frame
[21:49] *** GoldenH has joined #rpgnet
[21:49] *** ChanServ sets mode +v GoldenH
[21:50] <~Dan> I take it they're more on the "extradimensional alien"
end of the "demon" spectrum?
[21:50] <+Eloy-3EG> pretty much all the demons in API are
extradimensional, unless they originated on Earth.
[21:52] *** JA_Phone has quit IRC: Disintegrated: Bye
[21:52] <~Dan> Well, right, but I mean that some of them seem more
"supernatural" than others.
[21:52] <+Eloy-3EG> the Taylari, Wolf People and Changelings to be the
ones that are domestic demons. lol
[21:52] <+Eloy-3EG> yeah, i'd say so then if you put it that way
[21:53] <+Silverlion> Hrms. Is that all the PC's are "Demons?
[21:53] <+Eloy-3EG> if you're not a human, then you're a "demon"
[21:54] <+Silverlion> Ah I see.
[21:54] <+Silverlion> I know I read Tommy's review but its been a while.
[21:55] <+TommyBrownell> And Spectrals are just humans that won't go away...=)
[21:55] <+Eloy-3EG> it's a broad term that encompasses just anything
non-human. it's a holdover from the dark ages when the company was
started.
[21:55] <+Eloy-3EG> heheheh, essentially yes. or aren't allowed to go away
[21:55] <~Dan> I forget... Are cyborgs considered "demons"?
[21:55] <+Eloy-3EG> man i loved the Spectrals book
[21:55] <+TommyBrownell> Me too!
[21:56] <~Dan> Yeah, you did a great job with that, Eloy.
[21:56] <~Dan> I mean, I didn't think they'd be all that interesting.
[21:56] <+Eloy-3EG> cyborgs are like that in-between thing. They are
purposefully making themselves less human so many consider them
demons.
[21:56] <+Eloy-3EG> i try *blushes*
[21:56] *** Thanaeon has quit IRC: Connection reset by peer
[21:57] <~Dan> Hey, Tommy? Have you reviewed Part Time Gods?
[21:57] <+TommyBrownell> I did. The sample char gen I did in my API
review was a Spectral...=)
[21:57] <+TommyBrownell> Yup.
[21:58] <+Eloy-3EG> Tommy's review = Great game, but it's not Wu Xing. lol
[21:58] <+TommyBrownell> Kinda...=)
[21:58] <~Dan> I'm finishing up a review now.
[21:58] *** Thanaeon has joined #rpgnet
[21:58] *** ChanServ sets mode +ao Thanaeon Thanaeon
[21:58] <+Eloy-3EG> Part-Time Gods actually has taken over as my
highest selling game, so that's awesome
[21:58] <~Dan> Really interesting take on the whole 'modern gods" thing.
[21:59] <~Dan> Seems like someone told you that would happen, Eloy... ;)
[21:59] <+Eloy-3EG> the first sourcebook for Part-Time Gods is being
developed right now and I hope to have it out before the end of the
year
[21:59] <+Eloy-3EG> hehhee, yep.
[21:59] <~Dan> Oooo... Do tell!
[21:59] <+Eloy-3EG> first sourcebook is called Divine Instruments
[22:00] <+Eloy-3EG> it's going to go more indepth into 3 arenas of
power: worshippers, relics and territory.
[22:00] <+Eloy-3EG> so far, the material we've got is REALLY good
[22:01] <~Dan> What else do you have planned for it?
[22:01] <+Silverlion> Neat.
[22:02] <+Eloy-3EG> planned for Part-Time Gods?
[22:02] <~Dan> yeah.
[22:03] <+Eloy-3EG> possibly a book about portal hopping, but past
Divine Instruments it's very much up in the air. lol
[22:03] <+TommyBrownell> (Link:
http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com/2011/08/tommys-take-on-part-time-gods.html)http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com/2011/08/tommys-take-on-part-time-gods.html
[22:04] <+Eloy-3EG> wow. thought you would have been quicker at the
draw with that link, tommy. lol
[22:04] <+TommyBrownell> My browser and my blog were arguing.
[22:04] <+Eloy-3EG> just saying, slacking. :-P
[22:05] <+Eloy-3EG> I've been working with Melissa Gay on a new cover
for Divine Instruments too and it's coming along quite nicely. she
just reaches into my brain and show me what I wanted. lol
[22:05] <+TommyBrownell> Bad luck with technology recently. =)
[22:06] <~Dan> Could we hit pause for a sec? I need to ask Eloy something. :)
[22:06] <~Dan> Eloy, I need to turn in for the night pretty quickly
here, but I feel bad about the mix-up and don't want to short you on
time.
[22:07] <~Dan> So, I'd like to present you with a couple of options.
[22:07] <~Dan> (1) You can go on as long as you like here, although
the main chat should probably re-open for general chat in about an
hour.
[22:07] <~Dan> (2) We can schedule you an additional hour on a different day.
[22:07] <~Dan> Any preference?
[22:08] <+Eloy-3EG> actually, I was thinking an hour was pretty darn
good. I got to mention each of my latest products and stuff, and got
to field some good questions.
[22:08] <+Eloy-3EG> I woudl probably just see if anyone had any last
minute questions and if not, i'll likely turn in as well.
[22:09] <~Dan> Fair enough! Anyone?
[22:09] <+Silverlion> What's your next project that isn't a
continuation or did I miss that?
[22:09] <+Eloy-3EG> no, you didn't miss that
[22:10] <+Silverlion> <--is halfheartedly packing.
[22:10] <+Eloy-3EG> by the end of 2012, we should have Storm Battalion
out. Davey Crockett meets Hellboy. Process that.
[22:10] <+Silverlion> Awesome.
[22:10] <+Eloy-3EG> It's the first game i'm publishing for someone
else, one of the main writers for API, Brennan Bishop
[22:10] <+Mostlyjoe> Actually set in Davey Crockett era?
[22:10] <+Eloy-3EG> it's currently in playtesting
[22:11] <+Eloy-3EG> yes and no.. alternate history
[22:11] <+Eloy-3EG> for 2013, though, I will be working on Sinister,
which is my monster battle RPG currently in the works.
[22:11] <+TommyBrownell> I think Brennan said he was tossing me an
easter egg in that one, too.
[22:11] <~Dan> So folkloric Living Legend type stuff?
[22:12] <+TommyBrownell> (Haven't had a chance to dig into South
America to see what he left me)
[22:12] <~Dan> Monster battle, eh?
[22:12] <+Eloy-3EG> Storm Battalion is actually a wartime game,
dimensional storm, crazy powers, amazing shite.
[22:12] <+Mostlyjoe> Do you fight monsters or are the monster?
[22:12] <+Eloy-3EG> Tommy, i could see a couple things that could
literally have been ther just for you.
[22:13] <+Eloy-3EG> Sinister is my take on the Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon,
monster trainer genre.
[22:13] <+TommyBrownell> =)
[22:13] <~Dan> Well, I'd best log off before the wife starts
complaining. Thanks for stopping by, Eloy! I'll get you a log of the
chat if you like.
[22:13] <+Eloy-3EG> later Dan!
[22:13] <+Silverlion> Later.
[22:13] *** Disconnected.

No comments:

Post a Comment